Labradoodles, which are a unique breed of dog created by mixing Poodles with Labrador Retrievers, offer potential owners choices regarding size, color, and coat through the use of multi-generational breeding.
Labradoodles require a moderate amount of exercise daily. They do well in a city or on a farm. They are happiest when they are with people. Labradoodles can have fur like a labrador, a poodle or something in between! They do require grooming. The Labradoodle should be brushed a few times a week. Depending on the length you choose to keep your doodle, they may also require a visit to the groomer every 8-10 weeks.
There are three types of texture:
- The Hair coat, which is similar to fur in shedding breeds, is the least popular. Hair coats shed and usually have a normal doggy odor. This coat is seen in first generations, although breeders try to avoid it.
- The second texture, called a Wool coat, is dense and similar in feel to a lamb’s wool, hence its descriptive name. Wool coats hang in loose curls and aren’t dense. Generally, the Wool coat doesn’t have a “doggy” odor and it’s usually nonshedding.
- The Fleece coat has a silky texture often described as an Angora goat texture. This coat ranges from straight to wavy.
Labradoodles are considered to be non to low shedder.
So, what is a Multi-Generational Labradoodle? A multi-generational Labradoodle is one whose parents are BOTH Labradoodles or one parent is a multigenerational Labradoode and the other parent is a Poodle. Labradoodles can be the result of various generations of breeding different Poodle/Labrador combinations. Labradoodles start as what is known as the P-generation; a purebred Poodle and purebred Labrador. Their offspring classified as one of the following:
- F1 or First Cross Generation: 1 Poodle + 1 Labrador Retriever parent
- F1b or Back Cross Generation: 1 Poodle + 1 F1 or a Multi-generational Labradoodle parent
- F2 Generation: (2) F1 Labradoodle parents
- F2b Generation: 1 F1 Labradoodle + 1 F1b Labradoodle parent
- F3 Generation: (2) F2 Labradoodle parents
- Multi-Generation: (2) F3 Labradoodle parents